Exploring Fukushima Post Town
A prosperous town in the center of the Kiso Valley.
The 37th Edo post station was established as a checkpoint and was also home to the local magistrate, Yamamura. The town has prospered since ancient times, at the center of the Kiso valley. Most of the town was burned down in the great fire of May 1927, but some rebuilt houses and the vestiges of older properties remain.
In particular, the upper levels escaped the conflagration, leaving some old houses intact, and creating a harmony between the old-fashioned architecture and the watering place that dates from the Edo era. As evening falls, paper-covered lanterns are lit, and can be enjoyed throughout the year.